Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Making a meal last

My goal this week was to stretch one meal into several. As a family of 2.5 (the 18 month old usually eats off my plate) we almost always have leftovers. Last week I made a bolognese sauce in the crock pot and froze half for a future meal. I did the same this past week for a chicken shiitake wild rice soup. I am hoping this comes in handy for days we are running late, or looking for something simple (or if I do a Mom's night out, so my husband can prepare a meal!).

Last night I baked a 4lb ham, the last 15 min I covered it with a honey brown sugar glaze. Yum! After dinner I cut up enough ham for sandwiches for lunch (4 thinner slices made 2.5 sandwiches). Then I put the rest in my chopper and chopped it up to fine pieces. I used less than 1/3 cup for an egg omelet this morning with cheese (C loved this!). I will be using 2 cups of it tonight to mix into a split pea soup for dinner. The remaining chopped ham I am going to freeze to use for future chili or baked bean recipes.

I can't believe how far that ham went (and is still going). I also feel that portioning it this way helps prevent over eating at meals, in addition to saving money! I am really hoping to plan ahead each week so that at least one meal a week has enough to stretch by freezing or using in another recipe!

0 comments:

Post a Comment